Wednesday, August 01, 2007

July 2007

Back from Italy...

Had a few days relax there... really enjoyed the scorching hot weather, but I didn't know I was enjoying it till I came back in Holland's winter-like conditions, and I felt like my complaining about the 40+ degrees in Italy were out of place. At least, it was summer. At its best.

After a night duty, I got to Italy with Air Berlin again. I like this company (for the time being that is, till they step on my toes), so I enjoy their trouble-free check in, their new fleet and small but anyway present on board service, which is more of a rarity these days for low cost airlines and not. Till I dropped into a semi-coma sleep.

Anyway, this time I decided I would try to enjoy my country. I normally go home to visit my folks, so I don't really have the drive to do things and especially, I don't feel on holiday.But this time, I decided it would be otherwise and I had a day on the Lake Como, precisely in Bellagio, where I enjoyed few drinks in the shadow on the lake shore and went around through the narrow hill-side streets of this pretty city. Really nice and enjoyable, since it was midweek and not so crazily crowded.






Another day, I went to Milan to check out the summer sales. Unfortunately, I found no sales for Rolex Daytona watches, so I had to settle for something else :). Something else more in line with my poor bank account.

Then, I had a day visit to Portofino, not only home of great Italian explorer Christopher Columbus,

but also a place where the riches like to hang out and enjoy the commodities of their amazing villas and yachts with beautiful views, where mountains drop directly into the sea. But even if it's a place where the wealthy meet, I had a lunch of trofie al pesto, fried sea and shell food, water and coffee that costed me less than a starter in Maastricht's iper-expensive Thai restaurant S. (only the initial for it, no need to find customers for them). Oh, I love pesto. And it is original from this area, so I really had to refrain myself from ordering a second portion.



Next day, off to Slovenia. Since the drive is longer than I could be bothered to endure, I stopped for an afternoon in Venice. Last time I had been there was 2002, and I once again liked the city, although the heat was just getting crazier and crazier. Every single tourist was trying to find relief in the shade, but the dry heat was everywhere. So I decided to sit and drink something in San Marco square, with its amazing style.. As my glorious countryman Cpt. Bertorelli would say, what a mistake that I make! One sandwitch, one diet coke and a coffee, 33 euros. By the way, there was a 10 euros surcharge for music (you read correct!), so I kind of complained when the band took a break. I pay, you play. Fair and square. And it's not a words game.



One weird thing I saw... an old lady, a beggar, just outside a juwelry shop... hold on a second, is that a Luis Vuitton bag she is kneeling on??? Only in highly priced Venice you can see that, I guess...



The next day, finally Slovenia. Once again, what a pretty country it is. So green, so clean, so much to offer. My drive from Nova Gorica to Ljubljana was very comfortable, and I checked-in into the hotel my bro Tad booked for me. The Grand Union. Funny enough, in the same street they have 3 of them (!!- although the web site is only for 2 of them) with the same name and obviously, mine was the last, which means at each stop I parked my car and tried to check-in, in vain. Till, I arrived to the correct one, that is.
The hotel, breakfast, service is good. And it's right in the heart of the city, which is nice and handy in the evening. Finally I got the chance to see li'l T, who was born on June 21st and spent the first 3 weeks of his life in a Slovenian hospital due to some serious blood problems, but luckily enough he is right back on track, and finally home. I enjoyed seeing Tad again, a man with a heart as big as Slovenia. And his girlfriend M is always so lovely, so sweet. And their li'l T very cute, poor boy. And after having delicious Slovenian dinner with them in Trbovlje, I went back to my hotel and out at night for a drink. Amazingly, the riverside is literally packed with bars and restaurants, and each and every one of them was fully booked. The atmosphere was great, I enjoyed walking around there. I really need to dedicate a full week to Slovenia and one to Croatia sometimes, they are really worth a visit.



The only regret is that during this visit to Italy I met my brother only once, as he was busy between the hospital (where he works, no need to worry :) ) and some time off in the mountains. And even worse, I didn't get to meet his girlfriend, as she left for 2 weeks of Kenya the same day I arrived. Too bad. Have a great holiday, Monica.

Now I'm back, so it's businness as usual. Waiting for another break to come my way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home